Table of Contents
On your travels through a desert, you came across a sandstorm. But this sandstorm wasn’t ordinary – it was extraordinary: you could see it: heavy winds, large volume of sand and dust whipping in a frenzy, one-hundred feet high, but you couldn’t feel it. It’s called The Sands of Ruins, that teleports you to a demiplane called The Desert of Desolation, where it’s always high noon, and always 110+ degrees of barren, hot sand.
Immediately entering the demiplane, in the sands, a stone road appears that leads you to an ancient 1,000 year-old buried, ruined city, The Sunken City of Pazar, that is layered in sand, yet populated with ruined temples, dungeons, caverns and more – including a rumored maze called The Tomb of Nightmares, that is one more deterrent to ensure Amun-re curse persists.
Amun-re cursed soul by the gods finds no afterlife, but damned to this huge, ruinous, sunken city.
Amun-re had manifested in one of the chambers and pleads for your help – to lay rest his Ruling Staff and Star Gem of Mo-pelar. This would lift his curse so he may find peace, and in return, any treasures are yours.
Though there is a catch: the gods ensured the curse stood the test of time by introducing cultists to guard against raiders and heroes, while laying traps, maze…and more.
Though the sands carry random people to The Desert of Desolation, not all are called upon by Amun-re because they didn’t come across his path – but those that have, as those that haven’t – find themselves forever lost in these cursed lands until his Ruling Staff and Star Gem of Mo-pelar are laid to rest.
Game Notes / Suggestion
- Players are in the desert traveling.
- They encounter a strange sandstorm (maybe its hot, or cold, or maybe players can see the sand but not feel it, etc.).
- Sandstorm takes them to what is now a demiplane, Desert of Desolation, or if you want, the Sunken City of Pazar.
- Players could start outside this massive city that is buried in the sands, and discover a stone road in the sand that leads them into the city.
- Use Start 1 G6 (encounter with Amun-re) on map, Amun-re will plead for their help.
- Then the actual adventure begins in Start Here after Start 1 K1 (after players encounter with Amun-re) on map and lead them through the maps, to the pyrimd – underground, as everything is buried in sand, hence, “sunken city.”
- The Dungeon Master or Game Master can make up their own encounters to fit their game system and game system version. The DM should also consider adding or removing any characters or monster they want, and rename anything they want – and change the environment as they would like, for example, Kordan’s Master Maze can be called, The Maze of Horror and it’s haunted (totally up to the DM or GM).